2 cups white flour
2 cups boiled cauliflower
1 sm. onion; finely chopped
1 ts. salt
1 ts. pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic
1 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 c. warm water
2 Tbsp. oil
oil for brushing
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl; mix to form a dough.
2. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 15 minutes.
3. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 2 hours. (The longer it sits, the easier it is to roll.)
4. Knead for 2 minutes on a heavily floured surface and then divide into 4 pieces.
5. Lightly coat each piece in flour and flatten slightly.
6. Flatten with a rolling pin until each piece is very thin and shaped like a square; brush with oil.
7. Fold and set aside. See instructions on how to fold here.
8. Flatten with a rolling pin until each piece is about 1/4 inch thick.
9. Preheat a skillet over low - medium heat and brush with oil.
10. Place one sabaya in the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
11. Brush with oil and then flip.
12. Gently press down the sabaya so that it cooks evenly on the bottom.
13. Flip and continue cooking on the other side until cooked.
14. Remove and place on a paper towel.
15. Store in an air tight container or Ziplock.
The best way to make the perfect sabayah is to cook it on a low-medium heat and making sure that you turn it often.