A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Sambusa Wrappers

I would first like to thank my wonderful neighbor Marium for showing me how to make this. Masha'Allah, she is such an expert that she is able to make 2 stacks of eight instead of 8 stacks of 2.

This delicious Ramadan favorite comes out nice and flaky. Wrappers can be made in advance and frozen.





Makes 32 large sambusa/samosa

5 cups flour + extra for rolling
2 ts. salt
1/2 cup oil + extra for rolling
2 cups water
oil for frying



1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Knead until a smooth dough is formed.
3. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.



4. Knead for 2 minutes and then divide the dough into 16 pieces.



5. Press down each piece to form a 3 inch circle.



6. Coat the top with oil and sprinkle with flour.
7. Make 8 stacks with 2 in each stack.



8. Press down to try to keep them equal in size.
9. Flatten with a rolling pin until each stack is about 10 inches.



10. Heat a pan on low heat.
11. Place the stacked circles in the pan. (You don't want to cook them, you just want to dry them
out.)



12. Remove from the heat and cut in half.







13. Separate each piece. (Each 10 inch stack makes 4 large sambusa.)



14. Fold to form a cone. (See pictures.)



14. Fold to form a cone. (See pictures.)
15. Fill with a filling of your choice and close using flour paste.





NOTE: Flour Paste - 2 Tbsp. flour + 3 Tbsp. water
In order to make my sambusa to look nice, I cut the top edges after I fill and seal them.











Comments

  1. wow tammy mashallah thanks for all your hard work.So how long did it take you to make these.Where do you find the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow tammy mashallah so nice to see everything written down and made so simple thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow tammy mashallah so nice to see everything written down and made so simple thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow tammy mashallah so nice to see everything written down and made so simple thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does take time. But if you make a bunch in advance you don't always have to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sallam tammy,

    just wondering if the tortialla wrappers work for every somosa recipe? i really like that idea of the tortilla wrappers.

    jazakkullah for you help in not making me eat peanutbutter out of a jar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You shouldn't have a problem just make sure you close the end and the top really well. They taste so good with tuna or the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mashaallah! I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As salaamu alaykum

    Maa shaa Allaah it looks so easy! ur recipes are really yummy maa shaa Allaah!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mashallah Tammy I want you to know how much I appreciate this blog....u have clarified so much recipes for me....jazaka allahu khayr...may Allah bless you fr helping all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Assalamu alaikum

    Thank you for the kind words. I am disappointed that the pics have disappeared though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a lot of time. The meals that you see on this site is basically what is served in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Assalamu Alaykum sis,
    MashAllah what a great blog you have, I am somali and to tell you the truth I couldnt even make most of the recipes you have on here, but alhamdulilah at least I can look it up on your blog instead of harrasing and annoying my mum with my usual sayings of 'how do you make that again...and how much are you suppose to put in or how long do you leave it for'..anyways JazakAllah Khayr for you work and help.
    **Just wanted to ask what flour do you use to make the sambusas,I'm in the UK so we got Plain flour or self- raising?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can one freeze the sambusas or even the dough? Would i fry them and then freeze them or get them ready filled and stick in freezer until ready to make.

    Thanks, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  15. asalamu aleykum sis i tried ur recipe and it work out fine but am not sure with the rapper it was thick for me and when fried the sambusa i turned in to flakes help please

    Kind regards, LIBAN

    ReplyDelete
  16. its plain flour that can be used for the sambusa, u can make a lots not fry them than u can frezze them

    ReplyDelete
  17. tortialla wrappers I start using two years ago it is wonderful, but make sure you get the sof flour tortias.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi

    I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I attempted to make samosas from scratch and I thought it turned out pretty well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The recipe sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try and let you know how it comes out. shukran

    ReplyDelete
  20. assalaamu alaikum

    i wanted to ask how u freeze them and when do u freeze them?

    do u freeze them after u put them into the pan or after u put them into the correct form?

    walaikumu salaam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Somali Cake

Shaah (Somali Tea) and Somali Sweets