Potato and Onion Garnish for Somali Rice and Chicken Kalankal
1 lg. potato; peeled and sliced
1 onion; sliced
2 Tbsp. dark raisins
2 Tbsp. golden raisins
2 Tbsp. ghee
salt to taste
orange food coloring (I use the powder form.)
1. Put the potato slices in a large bowl; cover with cold water and add just enough food coloring to make the water yellow.
2. Put the onion slices in a bowl or plastic bag; add enough food coloring to the onions to get an
orange color. The longer the onions sit; the darker the color. I sometimes let the onions sit
overnight in the fridge.
3. Rinse the onion slices until the water runs clear and drain the potato slices.
4. Heat the ghee in a pan; add the potato slices and cook until tender.
5. Add the onion slices, raisins, and salt; cook for 2 minutes.
Serve over rice.