3 1/2 cups sugar
1 liter water (take out 1/2 cup and set aside)
yellow food coloring (Powder is available at most halal shops.)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup butter
3/4 ts. cardamom powder
1 ts. nutmeg
3 Tbsp. oil
1. Mix the food coloring in a half cup of water; set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Combine the remaining water, sugar, and cornstarch; stir well.
3. Once the sugar and cornstarch are well mixed; turn up the heat to medium - high (7 or 8) and
add the food coloring and water mixture.
4. Do not stir until it thickens.
5. In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbsp. oil with the cardamom and nutmeg.
6. Stir halwa every two minutes until it had thickened a bit.
7. Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil and stir well.
8. Add the butter a little at a time, mixing in between.
9. Keep stirring mixture until it is very thick; add the oil and cardamom mxiture.
10. Keep stirring until it is too difficult to stir the halwa.
11. Pour the halwa into a greased pan; cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool.
If you are using nuts, you can sprinkle them in the pan and then top with the halwa.
This takes about an hour and a half to make. Enjoy!