4 slices of thick white bread
1 cup gram flour or chickpea flour(besan)
1 Tbsp. rice flour
1 ts. salt
1 ts. cumin seeds
2 finely chopped green chilies
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of water
1. Remove the crust from all sides of the bread.
2. Slice the bread lengthwise into 3 equal parts.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together: Gram flour (besan), rice flour, cumin seeds, and salt.
4. Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter. (Batter should be the consistency of pancake
5. Add the green chilies and cilantro; mix well.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
7. Dip the bread slices in the batter one at a time and slowly drop into the frying pan.
8. Fry the pakoras in small batches. The pakoras will take about 4 to 5 minutes to cook.
9. Fry the pakoras until both sides are golden brown.
If oil is too hot pakoras will cook too fast and will not be crispy; if oil is not hot enough pakoras will be greasy.