This is not Somali but we loved it during Ramadan.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar; packed
1/2 cup butter; softened
1 ts. baking powder
1/4 ts. salt
2 egg yolks
1 ts. vanilla
1 cup apricot jam
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar; packed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Crumble the first 7 ingredients together unly crumbly; press into a 9 x 9 inch pan.
2. Carefully spread jam over the bottom layer.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy.
4. Add the brown sugar1/3 cup at a timebeating until stiff.
5. Add nuts if you plan to use them.
6. Spoon over jam layer.
7. Bake in a 350 F oven for 25 minutes until golden.
8. Cut when cool, with a sharp knife dipped in hot water between each cut.
9. Makes 36 squares