Not Somali but very delicious. These are good with or without the almonds.
1/2 cup butter; softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups flour
1 ts. baking powder
1 ts. vanilla
1 cup dates; chopped
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar; packed
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together well.
2. Press into a 9 x 9 inch pan and set aside.
3. Boil the dates and water for 5 minutes. (If mixture is too dry to spread easily, stir in a bit
4. Spread carefully over bottom layer.
5. Beat egg whites until frothy and turning white.
6. Add brown sugar as you continue to beat unti stiff.
7. Spread over dates and sprinkle with almonds.
8. Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes; cool.
9. Cut into 36 squares using a sharp knife.