Steak and Potato Filling
1/2 lbs steak; cut into tiny pieces
2 Tbsp. oil
1 potato; cut into tiny pieces (same size as the beef)
1 ts. garlic; minced
1/4 cup green pepper; finely chopped
2 Tbsp. carrots; grated
1/2 sm. onion; finely chopped
1/2 ts. cumin
1/2 ts. coriander
1/2 ts. salt
1/2 ts. pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pan; add the beef and brown.
2. Add the potato, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper; stir and simmer covered for 5
minutes. (Make sure the potatoes don't get mushy.)
3. Add the green pepper, carrots, and onion; remove from heat and set aside.
Whole Wheat Wrappers Makes 10
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 ts. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 cup water
1. Put the flour and salt in a bowl; add the oil and rub together with fingertips.
2. Gradually mix in the water to form a dough.
3. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 7 minutes; lightly cover with oil and wrap in
plastic until ready to use.
4. Divide into 20 equal balls.
5. Flatten each ball and roll out on a floured surface to a 4 inch round.
6. Place 2 Tbsp. of the filling in the center.
7. Using your fingertips, lightly wet the edged.
8. Gently fold over and seal by pressing the edge with the tip of a fork.
9. Heat oil on medium heat; add the sambusa 5 at a time.
10. Cook until golden.
11. Drain on paper towel.