Mushari with Laban (Sweet Oatmeal with Buttermilk)

3 cups water
1/2 ts. salt
1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 ts. cardamom powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or laban
1/2 cup milk


1. In a pot, add the water, salt, sugar, cardamom, and the oats; bring to a boil and then reduce the
heat to low.
2. Cook covered for 15 minutes.
3. Pour into a blender and blend until the oatmeal is very smooth.
4. Add the buttermilk and continue to blend.
5. Return the oatmeal mixture to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.

NOTE: I made mine with 2 cups of buttermilk and found it to be a little too sour. For this recipe
I changed it and added some milk. You can add whatever you like as long as it is 2 cups.

Comments

  1. As salaamu alaikoum

    I made this and I put twice as much cardamom by mistake. But for iftar at the masjid the Mushari I was given (me cooking it was the first time I ever ate it so I had nothing to reference to) it did not taste like oatmeal but looked too grainy to be farina. it was really rich and piping hot. Could this be possibly made with some other type of cereal? My husband doesn't know most foods in English when I ask him so he couldn't tell me what it was but he was sure it was not oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Somali Cake

Shaah (Somali Tea) and Somali Sweets

A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Sambusa Wrappers