Arabic Sweet Bread with Cream Cheese (Khaliat Nahal)
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp. yeast
3 Tbsp. powdered milk (Nido is easy to find in the Middle East.)
1/4 ts. salt
1 egg; beaten
1/8 cup oil
1 1/2 cups water
1. Mix the flour, yeast, salt, and powdered milk in a large bowl.
2. Add the oil and water and mix to form a very soft dough.
3. Set aside and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
4. Cook the sugar, water, and lemon juice on low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Once the dough has risen, punch down and make little balls.
6. Put a piece of the cheese at the center of each ball; close making sure no cheese is sticking out.
7. Put them in a lightly grease pan close together. (See picture)
8. Brush the top with the egg and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until the bottom is
9. Remove from the oven and evenly pour the sugar syrup over top.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 ts. lemon juice
Cream cheese or Kiri cheese (Laughing Cow Cheese); cut into cubes