1 Tbs. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 3/4 cups flour; sifted
1/2 cup semolina
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs. ghee or butter
2 Tbs. plain yogurt
oil for frying
1. Mix the yeast with the sugar and water in a bowl or cup; let rise 10 minutes.
2. Put the sifted flour in a large bowl and stir in the semolina and salt.
3. Rub in the butter or ghee until it is well mixed.
4. Add the yeast mixture and yogurt; mix to form a dough.
5. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
6. Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a piece of oiled plastic wrap.
7. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
8. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
9. Divide into 10 equal parts and shape each into a ball.
10. Flatten into disks with the palm of your hand.
11. Roll out on a lightly floured surface into 5 inch rounds.
12. Heat oil and cook 1 bread at a time.
13. Fry for about 1 minute and then turn.
14. Fry the second side for 30 seconds or until golden.
15. Drain on a paper towel.
NOTE: * The batturas should only be turned once in the oil. Turning too many times will make
* Batturas are best served hot.