My Story

Well my life has had many twists and turns. I was raised in a Roman Catholic family in Timmins, Ontario. Coming from a very small town I was pretty ignorant of other religions and cultures. For years I was very unhappy. I contemplated suicide on many occasions. One day, I met a really nice girl. She seemed so happy and so full of life. I craved for that kind of happiness. She told me that she was Christian and that in order for me to have the same kind of happiness I would have to accept Jesus Christ as my savior and to acknowledge that he died for my sins.

I started hanging out with her and going to bible studies. But, no matter how hard I studied I could not grasp the concept of the trinity. I use to pray and beg God to help me understand and to fill me with the holy ghost. After a while I realized that something was not right. How could God turn away from me? Here I was, begging for the faith that my friend had. I finally decided that maybe I was going down the wrong path.

When I was 19 I moved to Toronto to live with my aunt. While there I met many Somalians. I was fascinated by their culture and their hospitality. I started asking them questions about their religion and it sounded so good. It all made perfect sense to me. So I embraced Islam February 18, 1994 during the holy month of Ramadan. The Muslim community welcomed me with open arms. The feeling was indescribable.

I got married on April 24, 1994 at Tariq Mosque. It was a lovely ceremony. After the wedding we went to Mohamed's mom's house (May Allah reward her Jennah) for our wedding dinner. I was so happy to see so many people celebrating this day with me.

That was 14 years ago. Now, we have 5 extremely super hyper-active kids (4 of which are boys).

Comments

  1. As salaamu alaikum

    That was beautiful masha'Allah!! May Allah subhana wa ta'ala bless you guys with many, many, many more years of happiness together. Amin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wa alaikum salam

    Jezaka'Allah sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masha Allah sis, that is such a wonderful story :) May Allah (swt) continue to guard and bless your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masha Allah, ukhti, thanks for sharing.
    Na'ima

    ReplyDelete
  5. Masha'Allah. I love hearing stories of how one converted to this beautiful deen Al-Islam. May Allahu' subhana wa talaa grant you the best of this dunya and the hereafter insha'Allah. Ameen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a very beautiful story. i love your recipes too. i was wondering if you had an idea of how to make the goat meat we(somalis) usually eat with biris. i'm only 20 and in college and i'm trying to figure out the whole cooking idea and i love it :) . your blog is very helpful. shukran.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Assalamu Alaikum Sis

    Masha'Allah cooking goat does take time. I actually boil the boil for 2 hours. Then I usually fry it in a pot with oil,onions and a chicken cube. I sometimes add potatoes.
    I will make some recipes for you insha'Allah.

    Amina

    PS what is your name?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Aisha, i love your blog. God bless you. Shukran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sis, your blog is truly inspirational! A friend sent the link to me in an email and I've been visiting ever since! Do you still live in Toronto? I live in Mississauga! Anyways, may Allah reward you plentiful, ameen!

    wassalaamu' alaykum wa rahmatullah

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Salaamu 'alaikum dear sister,

    What a wonderful story! May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala bless you and your family with Al Jannah! Ameen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. as salaamu alaikum

    i just recently discovered you website, and i find it to be extremely helpful. although i grew up in a somali home, i never really mastered the art of somali cuisine. now that i have small children of my own, i am very keen on giving them a strong sense of their culture, and a huge part of that is the food.

    so thanks for your precise and amazing recipes

    ReplyDelete
  12. mashaallah that is beautiful story

    ReplyDelete
  13. al Salamo Alkum Wa R,ahmato Allahi waa Barkatooh

    Mashaallah Tabarkallah, such a wonderful story, may allah keep your family blessed and protect them from evil yaa rab.


    i really love your receipes, they come so handy as i am not good at cooking. may allah reward you jannat el Fardoos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Somali Cake

Shaah (Somali Tea) and Somali Sweets

A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Sambusa Wrappers