Somali Rice with Steak and Green Onions


Rice

2 cups basmati rice; rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp. oil
2 chicken cubes
3 cups chicken stock
2 cinnamon sticks
5 cardamom pods
5 cloves

1. Heat oil in a pot; add the chicken cubes and stir to dissolve.
2. Add the rice and stir-fry for 1 minute to coat the rice with the oil.
3. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to very low and cover.
5. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.


Steak and Green Onions

1/2 lbs beef; cut into really small cubes
1 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
1/2 chicken cube
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. garlic; minced

1. Heat the oil in a small pot; add the beef and brown for 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and chicken cube and stirfry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the water and cover.
4. When most of the liquid disappears, add the hoisin sauce.
5. Cook for 5 minutes on low.
6. Serve over rice with green onions.

NOTE: Hoisin sauce is a bit sweet.

Comments

  1. salam tammy thank you for the great recipes.
    i just have a question about the steak and onions?
    How do i prepare the steak and green onion part of this recipe?
    I am asking cause i would like to make this it sounds very good, maybe i have missed something.
    thanks zahra

    ReplyDelete
  2. wa alaikum salam

    I am sorry, I forgot to type in that part. I fixed it though. Enjoy!

    Amina

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, first i wanted to say that i love ur recipes.
    second i was wondering what the hoison sauce is, and if u know if they sell it in the US. i'm in milwaukee, wisconsin.

    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  4. whats a substute for hoison sauce, actually do i have to add it at all?or is it a speacial part of the flavors?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salams,

    So do you add the cardamom and cinnamom to the beef or rice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the rice from this recipe (not the beef and onions), and it turned out SUPERB! Thank you very much for putting this up, your measurements are always perfect. Everyone I make it for loves it. Much indebted to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello.. Firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting about this article. For me personally I liked all the information. I would like to know of cases like this more often. In my personal experience I might mention a book called Green Parks Costa Rica in this book that I mentioned have very interesting topics, and also you have much to do with the main theme of this article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam alaikum
    I'am a SOMALI girl
    Tammy ....I LOVE YOU SO MUCH and I'm proud of you>>>Viva TAMMY (GOD bless you)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Somali Cake

Shaah (Somali Tea) and Somali Sweets

A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Sambusa Wrappers